I don't think Dave is by any means suggesting this is a "good" idea just
that it has certainly been a persistent theme for the past 40 years or
so. I know the guy that wrote that latest piece here in Philly and it is
wrong headed and myopic on so many levels I won't even dignify it with a
response. I think that Tom gets right to the heart of the matter below
and I have had this same engagement with others for decades.

The ENTIRE chordal system and temperament and harmonic language of jazz
is from Europe. Even the drum vocabulary that we often assume is the
most "African" element has much of its roots in Swiss drum rudiments,
flam, press rolls, paradiddles, etc. Almost without exception the
instruments that we identify with jazz (except for drums) are of
European origin and in many cases quite late, like the saxophone
invented in the 19th century by Adolphe Sax. No sane person will suggest
that the great soloists and architects of jazz have not been
overwhelmingly African-American but the idea that it was anything other
than a uniquely American amalgam that drew from all kinds of different
sources is patently absurd. Likewise, if you want to get into its many
roots and tangents, an enormous number of the iconic Jazz standards were
penned by Jewish songwriters from Tin Pan Alley! Take "I Got Rhythm" out
of Jazz and the countless tunes that were based on its chord changes
(aka IGR changes) also don't exist! All roads lead to Rome from what I
can tell.

Jazz in my mind has always had many parents of all shapes, colors and
sizes let's accept and celebrate how these extraordinarly disparate
elements all contributed to the Jazz mutt instead of trying to establish
some self-congratulatory Apartheid system that is both odious and
patently untrue.

AA