Hi Cary:

The indie labels theory about the hot-jazz revival is very interesting. Your book about Cannonball,
which I'm about halfway through now, is what got me thinking about soul-jazz in the same light as
acid-jazz (the two are so closely related, I think it's dumb to consider them separate "sub-genres"
nowadays). I looked at charts in the Billboard mags easily accessible to anyone via Google Books and
what's clear is that the kind of jazz that charted and sold many records in the 60s is for the most
part not what shows up in anthologies. Brubeck has always shown up, because he was a campus favorite
and therefore was noticed by academia (plus, he was a very good musician and both he and Columbia
burnished his brand with great aplumb -- none of this is meant to detract from his success at all,
just to be clear). But like I said, where's Cannonball? Where's Ramsey? Why is the revolution that
Jimmy Smith started, that made the now beloved Hammond B3 organ a popular and mainstream jazz
instrument, ignored? I would argue that soul-jazz led to acid-jazz led directly to fusion-jazz
because once the blues were thoroughly woven back into jazz music, it was a logical leap to blend in
rock-blues elements. And that then evolved into "smooth jazz" because fusion is what made electronic
instruments mainstream and "smooth" was just following American rock trends in the 70s (a general
mellowing out after the harder styles of the late 60s and early 70s).

It's also worth noting that the Hot-Jazz Revival never really died out after the initial wave. To
this day "Riverwalk Jazz" is still funded and going on public radio and small hot-jazz combos
(almost always old white guys nowadays) play concerts all over the place. The original hot-jazz
music which the Revival addressed was subsequently fully canonized and will never be forgotten to
time (indeed, look at how many of those original recordings are already in the LOC's preservation
project, considered touchstone cultural artifacts).

So, noting all of that, why do the jazz "experts" and historians ignore both of these areas? I'd
love some input from jazz academics or archivists on the list. And just to be crystal clear, in case
I haven't, I'm not advocated "demoting" or not focusing on any of the many other areas and trends in
jazz history. I'm just saying don't have blind spots, perhaps for political reasons.

-- Tom Fine