-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Steven Smolian
Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2013 1:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] neat project

There is a book, "Record Store Days," a fairly recent c. 2005 publication, that discusses many US shops. Though concentrated on various alternative pop locations, it covers lots of other ground.  Some of its history is fuzzy (Vogues were the first picture records???) but there is a chapter on hit records and how changes in the way the Billboard charts were compiled affected the industry,  a chapter on Record Store Day, many reminiscences, some terrific photos, etc.  It's informal, good-natured for the most part and a pleasant read.  Look elsewhere for accurate history.  I bought mine on-line for about $ 4.00.

Steve Smolian