  From: Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/10/business/media/aereo-has-tv-networks-circling-the-wagons.html
>
> Interesting! Apparently, the FCC can't mandate that networks own over-air
> facilities. This could kill the affiliate-owner business overnight, kind of like
> how the do not call law telemarketing as a legitimate business.

This is an interesting development, but it's at odds with another one.
There is a "cut the cable" movement going on as well, in which people
drop their subscriptions to satellite and cable services in favor of
installing antennas and getting their TV over the air.  Two forces are
at play.  One is the high cost of cable (I have Comcast basic digital
and it's close to $100 a month - *just* for cable TV ) and the other
is the proliferation of regular-definition co-channels on broadcast TV.
These channels frequently carry content typically found on cable channels.

Watching television narrowcasted on a wireless device is a pretty spectrum-
wasteful way of getting the signal, and if you're watching on your
internet connection at home you could just as easily be watching a program
previously recorded on your DVR.