From: David Breneman <[log in to unmask]>
> This is an interesting development, but it's at odds with
> another one.  There is a "cut the cable" movement going on
> as well, in which people drop their subscriptions to satellite
> and cable services in favor of installing antennas and getting
> their TV over the air.

That is not happening in the U.S. because as I mentioned in my other
post, TV reception has become a lot worse since the digital transmission
changeover.

Leah and I will be in London next week and I am anxious to see their
digital Freeview system which gives about 30 channels over-the-air.  But
the difference is the British (and continental Europe) transmission
system is that of using a large multitude of shared low power
transmitters to cover every area. Most of those facilities are
government owned.  Here in the U.S. each station has ONE high power
transmitter, and in many cities they are not in a shared location.  In
the analog days the European system worked great, they even could put in
a small transmitter to fill in the valleys.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]