Are there charts that show vinyl in 2012, vs other formats and delivery sysytems? Roger > Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 21:11:11 -0400> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] music mass media trends -- fascinating> To: [log in to unmask]> > Hi Richard:> > Neato! Excellent analysis. You forgot only one interesting detail -- the recent minor resurgence of > vinyl!> > Shown here:> http://richardhess.com/notes/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Formats_1973-2012.png> by the creeping blue along the top, once relegated to barely a line, now busting the seams a little > bit.> > Vinyl records with included download codes hit a modern sweet spot for music collectors.> > Another interesting tidbit -- for all the talk about vinyl being such a niche format, SACDs were > really a niche format. I think there was only 1 year where SACD garnered more sales than vinyl, and > vinyl doesn't need a special expensive production line within an optical replication plant, so vinyl > can be more profitable with less gross revenue. This is why the major record companies ran screaming > for the exits with SACD.> > -- Tom Fine> > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>> To: <[log in to unmask]>> Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:39 PM> Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] music mass media trends -- fascinating> > > > Hi, Tom and all,> >> > I decided I needed to look at this fine clump of data in a different way to see the flow more > > clearly and in one glance...well, I got it to two and added it along with a few raw stats to my > > blog.> >> > richardhess.com/notes/2013/04/10/us-music-media-statistics/> >> > Cheers,> >> > Richard> >> > On 2013-04-10 8:22 AM, Tom Fine wrote:> >> http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2013/20130404forty?wpisrc=nl_wonk#7h-KqWpVxWwSPy0dF-Mvnw> >>> >> apologies if someone already posted this. I submitted last night but it never made it into the > >> ARSC e-mail for some reason.> >>> >> Two things I noticed from the data linked above:> >>> >> 1. look at how quickly LPs went from being the majority mass medium once people had a choice > >> (duped> >> cassettes and then almost simultaneously, CDs). People wanted portable from Day 1. I've always > >> been> >> surprised how long it took to get the Walkman. Portable cassette transports had been around since> >> the 60s. Headphone first gained popularity with consumers in the early 70s. Why another decade to> >> marry the two?> >>> >> 2. look at how long duped cassettes hung in with CDs. I remember that it took a long time for CD> >> players to be standard-issue in cars, they were a costly option-upgrade for a long time (and > >> didn't> >> work too well on America's bumpy roads).> >>> >> Another thing -- these stats must be for volume, not dollars. No way downloads are accounting for> >> nearly half the dollars today. Very easy to believe they are accounting for half the total > >> volume,> >> maybe more if you count subscription (or not) streaming. I'd also like to know how streaming> >> listening time stacks up against radio listening time (I bet it's now more, measured by total> >> ear-hours).> >>> >> For what it's worth, I've been pleasantly surprised how good-sounding and reliable the streams > >> have> >> gotten for both Pandora and Amazon Cloud Player. I wouldn't have thought such a thing possible > >> just> >> 10 years ago. The Amazon Cloud player really is a neat idea. They have a business record of> >> everything you've bought and all of a sudden most of that music is no-cost streaming via WiFi or> >> cellphone data plan. It's not making my 160gig iPod obsolete yet, but I notice Apple is quietly> >> phasing out all the big-drive iPods.> >>> >> -- Tom Fine> >>> >> > -- > > Richard L. Hess                   email: [log in to unmask]> > Aurora, Ontario, Canada                             647 479 2800> > http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm> > Quality tape transfers -- even from hard-to-play tapes.> >