 From: Mickey Clark <[log in to unmask]>

> I have a similar record - except the number is  3342-B-4-? a small mark obscures
> the digit after the 4. It could be a way of establishing whether the governer in
> the Edison phonograph produced wow. Maybe a pantograph from a mechanical source
> could have provided the original tone e.g. mechanical in origin -not
> audio-Mickey

Before the advent of the vacuum-tube oscillator, there were alternators
designed by Ernst Alexanderson at GE that could produce power in the tens
of thousands of cycles using a variable-reluctance circuit.  They were
used in early radio transmitters.  An alternator producing power in the
hundreds of cycles could be done even with commutators.