A couple of excerpts from the Copyright Office site set out by Sam:

Copyright protection subsists from the time the work is created in fixed
form. The copyright in the work of authorship immediately becomes the
property of the author who created the work. Only the author or those
deriving their rights through the author can rightfully claim copyright.

* * *

 *Two General Principles*

 Mere ownership of a book, manuscript, painting, or any other copy or
phonorecord does not give the possessor the copyright. The law provides
that transfer of ownership of any material object that embodies a protected
work does not of itself convey any rights in the copyright.

Since there was never any transfer of ownership of the song lyrics
themselves to the museum, this falls in the second paragraph.  The museum
merely owns the manuscript, not the lyrics themselves.

John Haley