Burns' documentary style is extremely limited and stylized - used no matter what the subject. It worked on "The Civil War" but is a drag everywhere else. I couldn't even sit through one episode of his stupefyingly boring documentary on the National Parks. I hate the fact that on certain image presentation software programs, a slow zoom is called the "Ken Burns effect." I'm sure the manufacturers knew that Burns didn't invent the zoom-in on a still photo, but to assume that the public believes it is just as arrogant as if Burns had called it that. Even so, I'll bet they had to get Burns' permission to use his name to describe the effect, and Burns likes to get his ego massaged, so he said yes.
Cary Ginell