24.04.2013 12:04, Hauser, Julia:

> An updated RDF dump of the Integrated Authority File (GND) [1] is
> available for download [2]. It includes links to the German Wikipedia,
> DBpedia and also 1:1-relations to the STW Thesaurus for Economics [3].
> The data are also available via http, SRU and OAI.
> Further information about the Linked Data Service of the German National
> Library (DNB) can be found on our website [4].
> Best regards,
> Julia Hauser
> [1] _www.dnb.de/EN/gnd_ <http://www.dnb.de/EN/gnd>
> [2]
> _http://datendienst.dnb.de/cgi-bin/mabit.pl?userID=opendata&pass=opendata&cmd=login_

Great. But:

In the previous version (Oct. 2012), a record looked like this:
(unpacked file:  8.5 GB)

<http://d-nb.info/gnd/4099395-4>
       a       gnd:Work ;
       gnd:firstAuthor <http://d-nb.info/gnd/118628852> ;
       gnd:geographicAreaCode

<http://d-nb.info/standards/vocab/gnd/geographic-area-code#XA-DE> ;
       gnd:gndIdentifier "4099395-4" ;
       gnd:gndSubjectCategory
               <http://d-nb.info/vocab/gnd-sc#12.2p> ;
       gnd:languageCode <http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/iso639-2/ger> ;
       gnd:oldAuthorityNumber
               "(DE-588c)4099395-4" ;
       gnd:preferredNameForTheWork
               "Der @Sturz" .

In the new version, the same record looks like this:
(unpacked file:  5.9 GB)
	<rdf:Description rdf:about="http://d-nb.info/gnd/4099395-4">
		<gnd:gndIdentifier>4099395-4</gnd:gndIdentifier>
		<gnd:oldAuthorityNumber>(DE-588c)4099395-4</gnd:oldAuthorityNumber>
		<gnd:preferredNameForTheWork>Der Sturz</gnd:preferredNameForTheWork>
		<gnd:firstAuthor rdf:resource="http://d-nb.info/gnd/118628852" />
		<gnd:gndSubjectCategory
rdf:resource="http://d-nb.info/vocab/gnd-sc#12.2p" />
		<gnd:geographicAreaCode
rdf:resource="http://d-nb.info/standards/vocab/gnd/geographic-area-code#XA-DE"
/>
		<gnd:languageCode
rdf:resource="http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/iso639-2/ger" />
		<rdf:type rdf:resource="http://d-nb.info/standards/elementset/gnd#Work" />
	</rdf:Description>

Why the difference, and where are these formats documented?
(One little but annoying difference is the presence/absence of the
non-filing indicator in the title field.)

Apart from these, there exists the GND-MARC format. The download would
be a lot more compact in MARC. Why not use this for downloading, or
provide it as an alternative?

B.Eversberg