Thanks Mark and Saaha for your reponses.

Mark - So am I right in thinking that whichever version (1998 or 2002) of
the EAD schema your file is based on it will still validate correctly
against http://www.loc.gov/ead/ead.xsd? However we still dont know whether
this will be the case for the next version if it uses the same URI?

Saaha  Really interested to hear about the XSLT to update EAD 2002 to
next version.  However Im not sure how this would work with our EAD output
which has been tailored slightly by our catalogue provider to meet our
requirements.  Also at present we do not have mechanisms in place to update
descriptive metadata in our METS documents when either a newer version of
the standard becomes available or if the original MARC record changes.
Although this is something we hope to have in the future so as to ensure
that descriptive data in our catalogue and METS documents are kept in
synch.  For this reason we point directly to the specific version of the
schema e.g. http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods-3-3.xsd  rather than
the generic http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/mods.xsd so that our METS
documents remain valid even if there is a newer version of the standard
available.

Until someone can confirm that our EAD based on 2002 version will remain
valid when validating against http://www.loc.gov/ead/ead.xsd when 2013
version becomes available I think our safest option would be to hold a copy
of the xsd as it stands currently locally so that our METS will remain
valid.

Thanks,

Vicky

Digital Standards Manager