Ben,

The alpha release of the EAD schema is written in the Relax NG schema
language.  My understanding, unfortunately, is that XMetal does not support
that schema language.

We intend, with the Beta release in July, to make the revised EAD schema
available as an XSD schema and likely DTD as well, both of which are
supported by XMetaL and other XML editors that may not support Relax NG.

A word about schema languages:  the schema version of EAD 2002 (released in
2007, I believe), was written in Relax NG.  The XSD version was derived
from the Relax NG schema.  We are continuing this model of schema
maintenance - the new EAD schema will be written in Relax NG and XSD (and
likely DTD) versions will be derived from it.

Mike