Hi everyone,

I am hoping to get some feedback from those of you who teach beginning
cataloging courses. I am revising my syllabus for our introduction to
cataloging course that is required for all of our MLIS students. I want to
include some different readings as some of the ones I have been using are
getting a little dated. For example, I really like Alan Danskin's "Tomorrow
never knows" but it was written in 2006 and the stats he uses are getting a
little old-ish. Here is the citation:

Danskin, Alan. (2006). "Tomorrow never knows" : the end of cataloguing?
World Library and Information Congress: 72nd IFLA General Conference and
Council, 20-24 August 2006, Seoul, Korea. Available:
http://archive.ifla.org/IV/ifla72/papers/102-Danskin-en.pdf

I also really like this one:

Levy, David  M. (1995). "Cataloging in the digital order." In Digital
Libraries '95: The Second Annual Conference on the Theory and Practice of
Digital Libraries, June 11-13, 1995, Austin, Texas. Available:
http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/DL95/papers/levy/levy.html

But it has some *really* dated material since it was written in 1995! I do
think that it discusses what cataloging *is* in the way that speaks to
beginning students who have zero background and/or interest in cataloging,
so I still like to assign it with the caveat that it....well...was written
in 1995.

Are there any relatively current readings (let's say the last 5 years) that
you like to assign to beginning cataloging students? Or older ones that
don't seem dated quite yet? (of course, I am thinking beyond the usual
foundational readings - Cutter, Lubetzky, etc....)

Thanks in advance!

Karen

Karen Snow, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor

Graduate School of Library & Information Science

Dominican University

7900 West Division Street

River Forest, IL  60305

708-524-6077 (office)