If a conference is held on just a single day, I have been using both $s and $t with the same date, to indicate that the conference lasted only one day.  If only $s is given, it COULD be interpreted as a start date where the end date was not known.  But I think $s by itself is correct too.  Best practice guideline would be helpful.

Adam

Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries