I don't think "correctness" is an absolute in these areas. The coding
is designed to enable choices, not necessarily to limit them. There
can be more than one "correct" choice of how to make use (or not) of
the $w nnna for indexing. If there were no code, there wouldn't be a
choice, which is more limiting.

That said, I think reducing clutter is a big part of it. Sometimes the
old heading is very close but not identical in form to a 4XX that
would be constructed to more current rules. The $w nnna code lets us
choose to suppress one of those references from public view while
keeping the old heading's reference in the cataloger's index to catch
incoming headings that need updating.. I'm not sure users have to
catch up with current cataloging practices to benefit from that.

As for the foreign language question, we've faced similar issues in
regard to French and German subject headings on incoming copy
cataloging. We retain and index them as subject keywords, but not as
separate subject systems. If someone finds a record by searching a
term that's in one of these subject headings, fine; but if they think
that the foreign language heading will be a useful access point for
pursuing other records on their topic, not so fine, since the
appearance of such subject headings is relatively scarce and
haphazard.  Choices, choices ...

Stephen