Thanks, everyone, for answering my question. Sorry I missed the information on the slide. But I have just one more question relating to Mark's response. If there is an authority record for those translations of Norwegian novels, shouldn't the 740's be redundant? Wouldn't they include the usages on the various editions of the work? I realize that many 700 t's don't have authority records (there were 11 on the last book I cataloged, and none of them did).

Thanks,
Ted Gemberling

-----Original Message-----
From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carlton, Tim
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2013 9:09 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Title added entries in RDA

I second Les's endorsement of Mark's explanation, and also our apology for not making this crystal-clear.
FWIW, the speaker note for that slide (Module 4, slide 44) does state "the 740's are optional but very helpful", but I realize that not everyone can nor does consult speaker notes.

Mark makes an excellent observation of the distinction in the case of the Norwegian novels; it relates to the difference between 'controlled' access points (70012) and 'uncontrolled' access points (740), and the different ways of accessing them, and that they in fact represent different things (expression vs. manifestation).

If you want a little more guidance on this kind of situation, please see the Jane Austen and Tennessee Williams slides in our "Guided Practice" answers.

Timothy J. Carlton
Senior Instructor
Cooperative and Instructional Programs Division Library of Congress
202-707-5323

Usual disclaimers apply