I'm not sure how the <label> element in the BIBFRAME authority examples
relates to the linked authorities. Traditional authorities can differ in
their choice of preferred authorized access point. Does the BF authority's
<label> element reflect one of those authorized forms (which one? how
indicated?), or something else--a transcribed form, or maybe a locally
preferred but not necessarily authorized variant? Like Karen, I'm not clear
how the rest of the data in the traditional authority (variant terms,
related terms, recorded characteristics) gets into the access/display mix.

If <label> in the case above is derived from an authority (as in example
3?), and if a BF authority can also be used to link between a transcribed
form and authorities for the same entity as in example 4, that would
require two different kinds of functionality, since the <label> could then
not be derived or changed based on an authorized form. So we'd need at
least two differentiated kinds of BF authority. How would this difference
be coded? Is there a reason not to let the transcribed form be content for
the BibFrame Instance's <publisher> element, and just use the BF authority
to reference the traditional authorities?

Example 3 apparently indicates that each defined <relationToWork> would
warrant a new BF authority for the same entity. Would BF authorities be
referenced from multiple works where the <relationToWork> is the same, or
does each Work or Instance reference a different BF Authority? If a person
has two relationships to a Work, does that require two BF authorities, or
can a single BF authority reflect, say, a relationship as both editor and
translator?

<hasIDLink> surely refers to an id.loc.gov link, as <hasVIAFLink> refers to
a VIAF link. But what is the value of specifying the different sources in
both the element name and the URI the element contains? Why not just
<hasLink>? or <hasLink type=VIAF resource=http://viaf.../>?

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
Technical Services, University Libraries