Graham Bell said:

>I do find the nearly 40% without ISBNs a bit surprising --

Why?  The ISBN did not exist for centuries of book publishing.

The percentage of monograph records lacking ISBN in LC, LAC, OCLC, or
older collections such as Harvard or Yale, would be even higher.

We've just been told 77% of OCLC records lack ISBM, and there are more
records with 2 or 3 ISBNs than just 1.  Hardly the departure from the
norm Kevin expects' those with only 1 ISBN are the minority.