Dear Sally, Ray and all,

As co-chairs and co-editors of the W3C Open Annotation Community Group,
Paolo, Herbert and I would again like to invite members of the BIBFRAME
group to continue the discussion of interoperable annotation on the mailing
list for the W3C Community Group. There is neither a cost nor membership
requirement to joining.

We feel it is fair to say that the Open Annotation effort has gained
significant momentum, being the 6th largest community group with many
active and ongoing discussions. However there is always room for
improvement, and we still believe that both BIBFRAME and Open Annotation
would benefit from an open discussion of the issues that resulted in the
divergence which is clear in the annotation document.

It is regrettable that the BIBFRAME annotation model is neither compatible
nor interoperable with the Open Annotation Data Model, especially given the
significant overlap between the target communities of Open Annotation and
BIBFRAME.  We are disappointed that prior efforts to engage with the
BIBFRAME community regarding annotation did not yield more constructive
results to this stage. We hope that our invitation to discuss issues on the
W3C Community Group will be met positively as we feel we owe it to our
communities to work towards convergence.

Respectfully,

Robert Sanderson, Paolo Ciccarese, and Herbert Van de Sompel

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 12:08 AM, McCallum, Sally <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thanks to all for your comments and ideas over the last few months.  The
small team that we have called the Early Experimenters has prepared some
discussion papers on difficult topics related to the BIBFRAME model and the
developing draft vocabulary.  Now we want to put these papers on
bibframe.org and begin discussion on this listserv.   By preparing
background and recommendation papers we hope to help focus the discussion
on the issues.

> The issues are some of the hard ones that all of us who deal with
bibliographic data run into  -- always.   We are starting with the BIBFRAME
Annotations paper, which you can find here:

>                 http://bibframe.org/documentation/annotations
>
> Then we hope to get discussion papers on BIBFRAME Authorities,
Relationships, Schema.org, and Resource types out soon, followed by
Holdings, Aggregates, and other issues.   These were prepared by various
subgroups of the Experimenter team.  We do not want to send everything at
once as we would like you to have focus rather than overload.

> We ask that when discussing the topics, you name your listserv comment
with the topic short title (indicated on the topic paper) with an extra
title to bind threads, e.g., "annotations--main point".

> We at LC continue to work on the conversion of MARC data, which, along
with RDA, is the current feeder of the current vocabulary available at
http://bibframe.org/.  In the last couple of months, we have made the
following enhancements to the BIBFRAME website:

http://bibframe.org/vocab/class-lcc

> -  Improved the MARC-to-BIBFRAME code: http://bibframe.org/tools/
>
> -  Added a set of Frequently Asked Questions: http://bibframe.org/faq/
>

> We have made every effort to update the MARC-to-BIBFRAME transformation
code after modifying the vocabulary, and we plan to change and enhance the
code based on feedback from the papers.  You can begin using the
transformation code today as a reference and starting point for your own
explorations.  See the contribute page to learn more:
http://bibframe.org/contribute/.

> Please read the papers that we are be putting up on bibframe.org and
participate in the discussion -- we are all in this together!