Jorg answered Bernhard with some definitions,

>"A resource is a thing that can be described by making statements about it
>and can be identified.

While some resources are physical "things": books, runs of serials,
kits, equipment, art works, and even sample rocks; some resources are
intangible.  I wonder if "things" covers electronic data?  I think of
"resources" as recorded intellectual and/or artistic effort,
artifacts, and naturally occurring objects. made available by the
library.

>A web resource is a web page ...

We consider PDFs, streaming videos, electronic games, databases, etc.
to be web resources, as well as web pages.

>A library item is a physical thing ...

I suspect most do not think of remote electronic resources, or even
electronic resources stored inhouse, as a physical "thing".