Roy Tennant said:

>But we nonetheless seem to have focused too much on consistency of
>descriptive data (for example, "ill." in collation statements) ...

What consistency?  We have in our database "il.", "ill.", and now
"illustrations".  To my shock, I found "illus." in a few derived
records, which so far as I know was never a standard.

In terms of access points, LAC had four forms of my name as main
entries, and their authority for me differed from LC's, until I
complained.  Ditto VIAF.  How many authors will check themselves in
VIAF?

I fear with all our efforts, we have not been very consistent.  That
inconsistency will have its impact on display, programming, system
migration, and in the case of entries, retrieval.