Karen said:

Then there is the question of whether the target would ever be more granular
than W, I, A? For example, with cataloger notes, one might want to annotate
a particular descriptive statement within, say, Work. Perhaps it is best to
defer this question until more general ones are answered.

No, I don't think it's best to defer this discussion.  It's fairly
fundamental.

The Annotation model states this view of the BIBFRAME model:

"For purposes of this model, a BIBFRAME Work, Instance, or Authority is an
abstract resource. Different institutions may have different views of any
given BIBFRAME Work, Instance, or Authority. For example, for a given
BIBFRAME Work, InstitutionA and InstitutionB may each have a view of the
Work,  bf:Work A and bf:Work B."

A BIBFRAME Annotation annotates the abstract object and not its description.
There was quite a bit of debate among the contributors over this, and if
there is a fundamental objection to this, now is probably the time to raise
it.  But if this view of the BIBFRAME model holds, then no, you can't
"annotate a particular descriptive statement within, say, Work."

Ray