On 5/8/13 3:18 PM, Ford, Kevin wrote:

> This does not preclude literal bodies.  It just means one might desire
> a property to identify the agent responsible for the content of the
> annotation.

Kevin, it does seem, though, that creator-ship of the body of the
annotation would need to be associated directly with the body, and not
the annotation. In other words, a publisher-provided author bio has a
creator "the publisher" independently of whether the bio happens to be
included as an annotation somewhere. Since you cannot further describe a
literal, you appear to suggest that the creator of the body would become
a property of the annotation. That seems misplaced to me.

However, doesn't this get us to a similar point that was reached in
SKOS, where the majority case is a use of literals for labels, and there
is an optional extension, SKOS-XL, for those instances where you need to
say something more about the label? What I'm not at all sure of in the
library use case is what the nature of our annotations will be -- in
other words, will the vast majority of them have plain text bodies? You
gave examples using the 856 field, which contains URLs that point to
texts. If the URL is deemed to be the body, then those are in accord
with the OA model. It does seem that anything that is carried today in
an 856 has already solved the problem by minting a URI for the textual
information. We still need examples of plain text annotations -- perhaps
they are more in our future than in our past?

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net