There are so many intertwined threads here it's almost impossible to
know where to comment and to whom. Needing to step in somewhere and
wanting to (eventually) comment on Tom's post, I'll start here.

I was struck by Kevin's statement earlier that one of the differences
between an Authority and an Annotation would be the need to express
provenance.  I totally agree with others that have said this is an
artificial distinction.  It is as important to know who assigned a
creator (perhaps just an order "record" where controlled names are not
typically used), to classification of subjects (the National Library of
Medicine may assign a classification and subject headings that bring out
medical aspects of a resource that aren't particularly useful for my
institution).

I'm also unclear on how practically to make use of an annotation.  Let's
say we have a review of a Friday night performance of the 100th revival
of Annie by an author working for the New York Times.  To what is the
annotation attached?  Or is this a Work issue?  How do I express that
this applies to a certain revival and to a certain performance?  I will
also want to know both who wrote the article and that he worked for the
Times.  I appreciate that BIBFRAME is striving to support library
metadata, but we will need it to do much more than that.  I will need a
solution that will allow me to do things that simply aren't possible
with MARC or RDA.

I also want to say a bit about records.  I'm a firm believer in moving
away from the record economy.  The need to store and share them is
insupportable.  The conversion of inarticulate MARC data to inarticulate
RDF perpetuates this concept.  I think that BIBFRAME will finally allow
us to fulfill linked data's potential.  But I am also struck by Ron
Murray's post on subgraphs (and Karen's on application profiles).  In
some contexts, we will still want to be able to express that a certain
suite of statements are present (among others) that meet a certain
agreed upon standard.  It will also be important to be able to express
conformance to this standard either through provenance or adherence to a
certain application profile.

Philip

--
Philip E. Schreur