There is an example under "Bad Data":

<!--  BIBFRAME Work -->
<*Play* id =
"*http://bibframe/work/Quatuor-pour-trois-violons-et-violoncelle*">
       <title>Quatuor pour trois violons et violoncelle</title>
       <creator resource = "http://bibframe/auth/person/franklin" />
</*Play*>
<!--  BIBFRAME Authority -->
<*Person* id="http://bibframe/auth/person/franklin">
       <label>Franklin, Benjamin, 1706-1790</label>
       <relationToWork>supposed compeser.</relationToWork>
       <hasIDLink
resource="http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n79043402" />
       <hasVIAFLink resource="http://viaf.org/viaf/56609913" />
       <hasDNBLink resource="http://d-nb.info/gnd/118534912" />
</*Person*>

There is a problem with "<relationToWork>supposed
compeser.</relationToWork>" that goes beyond the bad data.

I believe that someone else mentioned this, but if "relationToWork" is a
property of the Person, then that Person ID cannot be used for any other
relationship (e.g. "author") because as expressed here relationToWork is
being said about the Person, period. There needs instead to be a triple
that has:

WorkURI - relationToWork - PersonURI

This then states the relationship of the Person to that particular work,
and doesn't change the underlying definition of the Person.
Unfortunately, this isn't possible when the value of "relationToWork" is
not a URI, because properties (the middle parts of the triples) have to
be URIs. For example, if this information were coded using the MARC
relator standard "<http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/relators/cmp>" then you
could say:

http://bibframe.org/work/Quatuor-pour-trois-violons-et-violoncelle -
http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/relators/cmp -
http://bibframe.org/auth/person/franklin

Which means that this person is the composer of the Work. (I don't know
if there's a code for "supposed composer" but I'm pretending that "cmp"
will do.)

To resolve this, and this is a case that we will encounter, there will
have to be some contortions, possibly a blank node:

WorkURI - Creator -_blankA

_blankA - typeOf - http://bibframe.org/vocab/Person
_blankA - authID - http://bibframe.org/auth/person/franklin
_blankA - http://bibframe.org/vocab/label -  "Franklin, Benjamin, 1706-1790"
_blankA - http://bibframe.org/vocab/resourceRole - "supposed compeser"

The difference between the blank node and the way I interpret the
"lightweight BIBFRAME authority" is that the blank node is a one-off --
it's only  usable in this one instance. There is no creation of an
identity that could be re-used in other circumstances (although, as I've
done above, it can link to an identity, such as an authority record).
Blank nodes are considered last resorts by some linked data enthusiasts
because they aren't re-usable. But there are times when you really have
little choice.

This brings up a specific question about the BIBFRAME authority: Is it
intended to be re-usable? Or does it have the "one-off" nature of a
blank node?

kc
p.s. There are undoubtedly other solutions to this problem, and I hope
they'll get posted here.

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net