Laura,

I've often wondered about the library use case for a frbr:Work. (It
makes more sense to me in other contexts.) Imagine a user going to a
library looking for "War and Peace." In most cases, the person wants the
book in a specific language, which may or may not be the original
language. In a library serving English language speakers presenting the
user with " ????? ? ????" probably isn't ideal. Nor would most users
want to see all of the different translations, even though that is,
under some circumstances, bibliographically relevant.

It seems to me that the frbr:Expression level is closer to the user view
than the Work. The Work, to my mind, is so abstract as to be fine as a
topic of discussion ("I'd read War and Peace but it's just too long"),
but not a "thing" that people seek to use.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net