Hello,

IETF URNbis working group

http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/urnbis/charter/

has produced an updated version of RFC3187 which does accommodate both
ISBN-10 and ISBN-13. The ISBN International Agency is well aware of this
work.

See http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-03.txt

This Internet Draft is currently out of date, and it is not likely that
the URNBis working group will approve of it.

The reason for this is that there is no agreement on how to treat URI
query and fragment properties. As specified here:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-03

the initial approach was that the query and fragment are not part of the
identifier. The idea was that the identifier as a rule identifies the
entire document, and the fragment just takes the user to a specified
position within the document. This is in some respect aligned with how
the HTTP protocol works; the entire file is retrieved, and the browser
uses fragment to take the user into the wanted position within the
file.  Fragment must then be understood in the HTTP sense of the word;
it is also possible to identify logical parts / fragments, but how to do
this must be specified separately in each URN namespace.

Likewise, the query could be used to retrieve the document, descriptive
metadata about the document, technical metadata about the document, and
so forth, but the identified resource would remain the same.

Alas, the working group could not reach an agreement about how to use
fragment and query, and the latest version of the URN syntax

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-04

omits them, which I think is a problem since query and fragment have
been part of the URI syntax since 2005, but still no persistent
identifier system uses them. This may be an indication that mixing
identification and location information is not a great idea.

The authors of rfc3187bis are unwilling to produce a dumb down version
of the draft, so it does not look likely that the URNbis WG will be able
to complete its charter unless a workable compromise is found. IMHO it
would be a bad idea to say that e.g. a fragment is part of the
identifier string, since then it would not be possible to use fragments
in e.g. the ISBN namespace.

All the best,

Juha

--