This seems to me to make the case for linking between library data
elements and non-library elements, something that many have talked about
for a while. I agree that it is unlikely that any other community is
going to have exactly the same definition or usage of bibliographic data
as libraries. But by making links, either sub-class, sub-property, or
some other relationship, our data can be usable by the mainstream. One
finds many examples of this in presentations by Diane Hillmann and
Gordon Dunsire, either separately or together, and others who are active
in this area. I'll link to a page from my training site, in case people
want to see a diagram (I know I always do).

http://kcoyle.net/metadata/7lecture2.html

This shows a set of relationships between various types of title
properties in RDA and the Dublin Core title property. Someone who
doesn't care about the depth of detail of libraries can just read these
RDA properties as being the same as dcterms:title, for their purposes.
(Yes, it's a kind of "dumb down".) This would not be an annotation, but
would be part of the definition of the ontology itself so that it only
has to be done once.

kc

--
Karen Coyle