Here is the example of a BIBFRAME Authority from the Authorities document:

<*Organization*  id="http://bibframe/auth/org/ifla">
       <label>
             IFLA  Study Group on the Functional Requirements for Bibliographic
             Records
       </label>
       <link>http://www.ifla.org/</link>
       <hasIDLink resource="http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/nr98013265" />
       <hasVIAFLink resource="http://viaf.org/viaf/148620313" />
       <hasDNBLink resource="http://d-nb.info/gnd/2167628-8" />
</*Organization*>

I still haven't an answer from an earlier question (now lost in all of
this email) as to whether there will be a specific link from the
BIBFRAME Authority to the actual shared authority file used by the
library - that is, the file from which the library derives what here is
shown as the "<label>". The example above shows links to LCNA, DNB and
VIAF, but it isn't clear if any one of those is singled out as the
authority being used by the library. Why does this matter? It matters
because if the library intends to be part of an authority community,
they have to be able to receive updates from the shared authority file,
and therefore there must be a link between the shared authority file and
the local usage of a term. I illustrate this in the diagrams I did at:
http://kcoyle.blogspot.com/2013/05/bibframe-authorities.html (see esp.
2nd diagram).

If there isn't such a link then I do not see how libraries will be able
to keep their names in sync with the authority file to which they adhere.

We also haven't talked about alternate names. The examples show a single
name form. Indexing requires alternates. Both single names and
alternates often comes from a shared authority file (that isn't local)
and both types of name forms can change. What is the link that makes
change management work with the BIBFRAME Authorities?

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net