On 5/24/13 6:52 AM, Trail, Nate wrote:

> As far as "where is the link for updates", I think it would probably
> not be the same link, since so many flavors of update would need to be
> handled. A system would need to know how to interpret the link and get
> to the flavor of update it wants (JSON serialization of the full info,
> rdfxml of just the label, etc).

that makes sense, Nate. And therefore it is possible that the update
link may be different from the more general "authority" link. And
presumably this is another area where versioning will be important --
e.g. if you don't update your system from "cookery" to "cooking", that
wouldn't be so much an error as an earlier version.

I do think that BIBFRAME should have a way to keep together an external
authority identifier and the local display forms. I'm still not sure
when it makes sense to link from the local BIBFRAME "authority" and
other external authorities (VIAF, or national libraries in other
countries). I'm not against it, I'm just not coming up with a use case
at the moment. In general, I would assume that national and other shared
authority files would like to each other as a matter of course.

kc

--
Karen Coyle