 > It is hard to fathom that role is being considered as part of an
 > authority.
-- It's not with the exception of one scenario, which I expect will be
very, very few cases overall: when it is impossible to determine the
role because of poor cataloger entry in existing MARC records.  This is
the Bad Data example in the discussion paper.  I also anticipate this
will only ever be an issue during a transition phase, meaning that,
moving forward, specific "codes" or links will be used to describe the
relation of an authority entity to a work.  I also see the scenario as a
limited accommodation to be made during said transition phase.

If $e says "editor" or "author of," we can associate those lexical
entries with relator codes.  If, however, $e says "edtor" or "autor of,"
we cannot necessarily reliably associate those poorly entered lexical
entries with relator codes.  This is why it is a limited accommodation
during a transition period.  In the future, designating a "role" would
be done in a controlled manner.

I'm not delighted about finding data entry errors in our current
bibliographic data, but I can see that they are a very small percentage
all told.  Is a more elaborate solution required for such a small amount
of existing data, especially knowing we can improve on this moving
forward so that we do not have this problem?

Cordially,
Kevin