Mac, and all,

The project that Roy Tennant is working on around OCLC stats has
produced a list of 100 $e terms and their frequencies. You can see this at:

http://experimental.worldcat.org/marcusage/2013-04-100e.txt

There are nearly 11,000 such unique terms in that subfield. The 700 $e
has not be provided yet - I assume it will be as various. Here are the
first 11 in that list:

4101390	Auteur.
224450	ed.
163390	zhu.
135210	comp.
92854	zhuan.
84300	photographer.
79274	author.
38507	bian zhu.
35361	artist.
27213	interviewee.
25046	Author.

"ed." is the one I recall seeing most often, and there it is near the
top of the list.

The instructions in MARC say:

"*$e - Relator term*

Designation of function that describes the relationship between a name
and a work, e.g., ed., comp., ill., tr., collector, joint author.

700 	1#$aSmith, Elsie,$d1900-1945,$eillustrator.
700 	1#$aHecht, Ben,$d1893-1964,$ewriting,$edirection,$eproduction."

I could compare the list of terms in the LC MARC relator list to Roy's
list of $e's, but first need to remove the ending periods, and that
complicates things because many of the terms are in the list both with
and without ending periods, so we don't really know how often the *term*
appears... I'll also need to normalize the case. But if I get a chance
I'll do some analysis.

To me the key thing about Roy's list is that it shows that there will be
*many* lists of valid role terms, not just one. And in some library
communities, who knows?, the role may  not be from a controlled list but
might be uncontrolled or transcribed from the title page. I still think
BIBFRAME needs a way to deal with this that doesn't mess with the name
authority.

kc

--
Karen Coyle