Kevin, thanks for your comments.

The bit quoted below actually comes from Rob, but he and I did go back and forth a bit on the question of Annotation v. Authority, and where one draws the line. You mention in your other email that one way to define annotations might be to define them as "those things needing information about *who* supplied them," with the "non-Annotations" being those bits that are factual descriptions (or transcriptions) of the thing itself. I'm sure there will be grey areas, but I wonder how well this parallels the RDA division between Description and Access? If it does, the authority-controlled headings could be seen, at least structurally, as annotations because they do require additional information about the source of the data. (Which we carry in various forms in the MARC record today, in Leader codes, indicators, and $2 subfields, plus the unfortunately inadequate 040.)  Thus an LC subject heading could be an annotation that uses content from LCSH*, and was assigned by (say) Harvard. A Dewey number would have a Dewey identifier**, which includes the edition of Dewey, and was assigned by (say) San Francisco Public Library.

* http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/sh85038796
* http://library.harvard.edu/

** http://dewey.info/class/636.7/e23/2012-10-24/about.en
** http://sfpl.org/

(In OA terms, I think these pairs would be oa:hasBody and oa:annotatedBy, respectively.)

This parallels pretty much what we do today in some MARC fields with indicators and $2, except that for the *who* we only know who has initially created the record, and then all of the libraries that have made modifications (but not which fields they modified).

Here it would be good to hear from some catalogers who have made the mental transition from AACR(2) to RDA: is there a relatively clear division between Description and Access such at all/most Access = authority controlled "stuff"? Can we say that BIBFRAME Work + Instance = Description, and everything else is supplied information about the bibliographic "thing"? That would give us at least a conceptual criterion to use.

Even if there isn't a bright line distinction between Description and Access (no surprise), would this at least be a good starting point for further discussion?

(Note: there are lots of complications, like everything that goes into 5XX fields today, but before getting bogged down in that, does Kevin's principle of *who-ness* hold?)

kc