Agreed - differences in terminology and frames of reference make these challenging discussions - but unfortunately I think some of these problems (such as varying uses of the term 'description') we are stuck with. However obviously in terms of acronyms etc there is no excuse not to be clear.

OA (in the context of this discussion) = Open Annotation - this is a data model and ontology for expressing annotations on the web.
"The Open Annotation Core Data Model specifies an interoperable framework for creating associations between related resources, annotations, using a methodology that conforms to the Architecture of the World Wide Web...An Annotation is considered to be a set of connected resources, typically including a body and target, where the body is somehow about the target. The full model supports additional functionality, enabling semantic annotations, embedding content, selecting segments of resources, choosing the appropriate representation of a resource and providing styling hints for consuming clients."
(from http://www.openannotation.org/spec/core/)

More information at http://www.openannotation.org, and the specification is at http://www.openannotation.org/spec/core/

Owen

Owen Stephens