On 9 May 2013, at 19:39, Ray Denenberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Would it help to define an annotation property "bodyCreator".

  So if the publisher created the publisher description and the library of congress asserted the annotation:

bf:PublisherDescription ;
                                             ..

bf:annotates

bf:annotationAssertedBy
(Library of Congress)

bf:BodyCreator
(publisher)

Or if a third party created the publisher description:

bf:PublisherDescription ;
                                             ..

bf:annotates

bf:annotationAssertedBy
(Library of Congress)

bf:BodyCreator
(third party)

The problem I see is that in Open Annotation the information about who made the annotation is given by oa:annotatedBy. This makes sense in the context that Karen gives, or (for example) for reviews posted on a site by users.

I'd thought that this was the intention of the bf:annotationAssertedBy property - one of the examples in the Bibframe annotation document is:

<resources/annotation/annotation2>abf:PublisherDescription ;
 bf:annotates<resources/instance/instance1> ;
 bf:annotationBodyLiteral
"John M. 'Frosty' Anderson was one of the National Audubon Society's great 'living ..."
 bf:annotationAssertedBy(An Authority for University of Texas Press) .

Which suggests something different to what I thought Kevin said and your examples above. Based on this example my view was that using the annotation structure was a good idea, but that this could simply be a bf:Description - as it states who made it.

However, if the bf:annotationAssertedBy just becomes a way of saying which the cataloguing library was, it becomes strange to use this for the description/publisherDescription etc. but not for author/title/publisher/any other property.

If we want to keep it simple, then why not just have a straight property of bf:PublisherDescription, without the necessity of using the annotation framework at least in this case?

Owen