From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karen Coyle
Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2013 12:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] BIBFRAME Issue paper on Authority - correction

Just a quick correction to the document:

The document states that "an Instance can only have one publisher..." - this is not true, and there are examples in the MARC documentation [1] that show otherwise:

260

##$aParis :$bGauthier-Villars ;$aChicago :$bUniversity of Chicago Press,$c1955.

This is not a conflation of instances but a true simultaneous publication. This is the reason behind the use of "publication statement" in RDA and in the RDA vocabularies [2] as a wrapper for "place, publisher, date," and remains, to my knowledge, not entirely resolved in that (or any other) ontology. It does appear that each place/publisher/date will need to be its own graph.

kc

[1] http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd260.html
[2] http://rdvocab.info/