From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karen Coyle
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 01:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] BIBFRAME Authority - publisher as authority

On 5/14/13 2:34 PM, Ford, Kevin wrote:

what is
transcribed may not represent a corporation but an imprint -- which is
essentially a product line. (Think "iPod" vs. "Apple".) As an example,
Vintage Books [1] was an imprint of Knopf but now is an imprint of
Random House.
-- True, but the main idea under consideration is finding a way to accommodate the transcription of this information while simultaneously associating that transcribed entry with a controlled entity.

Yes, as long as it is expected that the "controlled entity" is not controlled by the cataloging rules nor the authority file. Various systems have made use of publisher statements, sometimes in combination with the ISBN publisher numbers, but I would normally see this as outside of what cataloging calls "authority control." I believe that in many areas we will be trying to develop more precise linkages to what today is textual data, but we shouldn't confuse that with "authority control". Those are definitely different things.

******
FWIW, Vintage Books is taken care of [1], though it does not record all the corporate history you noted. Yours, Kevin

[1] http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n83329123
******
That is in the authority file because Vintage is the "author" of a series.

800

1_

 |a Burns, James MacGregor.  |t American experiment (Vintage Books (Firm)) ;  |v v. 1.

It's a fairly unusual case, and I'm not sure that it's a common practice. Most publishers' series do not get such entries. I'd consider this one a fluke.

kc