I agree that whether the "thing" that a user is looking for is a work, expression, etc. is irrelevant to an end-user. Personally, I find the categories conceptually useful. I never assumed that library users would have any knowledge that concepts like "work" and "expression" and "manifestation" are part of how our resources are organized at all.

And yes, translation does require a great deal of intellectual work. But the fact remains that the ideas being translated are not those of the translator. Just the expression of the ideas in language. However, I think my idea of "work" has often been far more broad than many others working with library resources.

I didn't mean to get us so far off-track from discussing BIFRAME authorities, so my apologies.

Laura

--
Laura Krier
Metadata Analyst