Literary creations that have been reproduced often, in multiple languages,
and under multiple editorial regimes (most "great" works of literature in
fact) draw the attention of Textual Criticism* scholars. For examples of
their scholarly product this, see the Norton Critical Editions.

Textual criticism research often uncovers multiple editorial
"crossings-over "of text en route create a new printing. This means that we
are dealing with networks of published texts that may initially be
interpreted as hierarchies.

It's only when FRBR-style linkings-up across languages and editions (this is
*Library* Linked Data after all  and don't forget modern mashups) begins
does the need/requirement for networks of Work-level descriptions become
critical.

In design terms, it means to be ready to deal with network structures that
initially masquerade as hierarchies.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textual_criticism

Ron Murray