One can approach this by considering literary/linguistic and web science issues.

===========

Literary/Linguistic -

The need for Work-level resource descriptions is well-justified by literary and linguistic theory, research, and practice.[1] We document key features of the modes of languaging such as speech (inc. its written forms) and sign because they are the means by which concepts are transferred between parties via transient and library-friendly semi-permanent carriers.

Reasoning about this in metadata terms (rather than shifting to more suitable reference frames as needed), consider Work-level descriptions as being able to play a dark metadata role WRT Expression-level etc. descriptions.

From a user-focused point of view, Work-level descriptions structure user-facing Expression-level descriptions etc. behind the scenes  and make it possible to discover and access resources in a concept-aware fashion. The strategy is demonstrably effective  but knowledge of it may not interest the casual user. Note that a dark metadata role may change to a visible one if users become more aware ( by encountering multiple copies, editions, expressions of the same thing, etc.) of their information-seeking process.

==========

Web Science -

A recent paper on the evolutionary origins of modularity[3] encourages us to conceive of a type of Work-level description that modularizes a number of individual Work descriptions that are asserted to refer to the same intellectual creation. A key finding of this paper is that modularity (chunking) arises in a network environment if a network selection/survival factor is the reduction of connection costs. Since we are talking LLD...

So If Work-level descriptions A, B, ... Z are declared as having a common conceptual basis, a Work-level description that modularizes all of these targets the need to define or compute inter-Work-level descriptions. A single link from a W(S) description to descriptions A, B, ... Z eliminates the need for additional linkage in the form of situationally-defined onesie, twosie, etc. links among A, B, ... Z Work descriptions.

Naturally, any attributes of or links to a W(S) modularizing description are also link-economical if those links would otherwise have to been assigned to A, B, ... Z individually.

=========

So Work-level descriptions and modularizations thereof can both play key roles in a BIBFRAME scheme of things  especially with respect to improving resource discovery and link economics.

1 The OED traces literary or musical uses of work back to around 1300.

2. http://gallaudet.petitto.net/img_upload/posters-for-media/TheAcquistionOfNautralSignedLanguages-lessonsInTheNatureOfHumanLanguageAndItsBiologicalFoundation-Petitto.pdf

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/280/1755/20122863.abstract

=========

Ron Murray