I would also bet that the number of self-published books with no ISBN would
take up a lot of these as well, given libraries' interests in supporting
local authors.

From:  Graham Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:  Monday, May 20, 2013 11:49 AM
To:  "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Cc:  "[log in to unmask] Coyle" <[log in to unmask]>, Laura Dawson
Subject:  Re: [BIBFRAME] Instance of ISBNs in MARC records

And this accurately reflects the raison d'être of the ISBN -- it is an
identifier that identifies individual products. The EPUB, the PDF and the
MOBI are all different products (even if they all have the same content),
and may be available from different suppliers, priced differently,
exclusively sold through different outlets, readable on different devices
etc. Other identifiers (like the so far not widely used ISTC) can be used to
collocate multiple products with essentially the same content.

And as Laura correctly points out, publishers assign ISBNs, primarily in
order to facilitate trading of books among their trading partners. For
physical books, this is a well-understood system. For e-books, not so much:
some trading partners don't insist on ISBNs, others do. Others still can
allocate ISBNs* if the publisher does not. And a few rely internally on
proprietary identifiers†. Best e-book practice on this is pretty clear these
days, but actual practice among publishers still varies.

Now for Schlomo's MARC records, it's quite understandable that some have no
ISBN and others have multiple ISBNs, since the MARC record is not bound to a
particular 'product' quite as closely as a ISBN. Having said this, I do find
the nearly 40% without ISBNs a bit surprising -- are serial publications or
other items that would not be eligible for ISBNs included in the sample?

Graham Bell
EDItEUR

* that is, the retailer can in theory allocate an ISBN if the publisher does
not -- though in practice I don't think many retailers do this.

† like 'proprietary EANs' (special GTIN-13s reserved for internal use only),
or ASINs within Amazon. Because of their proprietary nature, I suspect these
aren't much value in a library record

EDItEUR Limited is a company limited by guarantee, registered in England no
2994705. Registered Office: United House, North Road, London N7 9DP, UK.
Website: http://www.editeur.org