On 5/22/13 8:02 AM, Eric Miller wrote:

> The 'grouping' mechanism serves two (at least?) purposes. One as a mechanism for explanation ('Authority' vs trying to enumerate each example). The other is to support extensibility in a consistent, actionable manner. Stuart has listed some of these Authorities (Person, Topic, Organisation, Place, etc.) If one broadens the scope of BIBFRAME even slightly to support our traditional needs we start to see more.  A 'nearby' example would be the management of technical and product documentation across an huge, international organizations. In this case, the needs include refinement to Organisation, inclusion of Departments, etc. Once one moves beyond even these 'nearby' examples, the applications and use cases get even more interesting. Rather than say BIBFRAME should be everything to everyone and define everything (which it can't be), adding these extensibility mechanisms allows BIBFRAME to be used in a range of larger contexts and support even more of a free flow of data across descriptive communities.

Here's the description from section 2.1 of the BIBFRAME authorities
document:

" It is anticipated that the BIBFRAME Authority - the lightweight
Abstraction Layer itself - would be identified with a URI of the domain
creating the resource.  In this way, it would function as a local access
point (HTTP URI) for the person or concept.  The lightweight Abstraction
Layer (the BIBFRAME Authority), however, need not link to a traditional
authority resource, which is especially important since there may be no
traditional authority resource to link to (not all names and subjects
found in current bibliographic data have corresponding authority records)."

 From a previous paragraph, it appears that the resource in "creating
the resource" is the bibliographic "thing" that is being described. So
tell me if this is correct:

- There is an LCNA identifier and description for PersonA, call it
lcna:PersonA
- Harvard catalogs a book by that author (original cataloging). Harvard
creates a BIBFRAME Work description and a BIBFRAME Authority, using the
Harvard domain (call it HU). We now have:

HU:Work9 -> author -> HU:PersonF
HU:PersonF -> label -> "some name here"
HU:PersonF -> authority -> lcna:PersonA

Later, Stanford uses the HU data for copy cataloging. Does Stanford now
have:

HU:Work9 -> author -> HU:PersonF
HU:PersonF -> label -> "some name here"
HU:PersonF -> authority -> lcna:PersonA

That is, does the original BIBFRAME authority identity get re-used? Can
the Work identity also get re-used? (This is more a "best practice"
question than a "what is technically possible" question.)

Then I assume that at some later date Stanford does original cataloging
for another Work by PersonA, and would create:

SU:Work9 -> author -> SU:Person12
SU:Person12 -> label -> "some name here"
SU:Person12 -> authority -> lcna:PersonA

I have some other questions, but I'm going to stop here and see if this
is correct before I go on.

kc

--
Karen Coyle