From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karen Coyle
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BIBFRAME] Authorities: updating

Here is the example of a BIBFRAME Authority from the Authorities document:

<Organization id="http://bibframe/auth/org/ifla">
      <label>
            IFLA  Study Group on the Functional Requirements for Bibliographic
            Records
      </label>
      <link>http://www.ifla.org/</link>
      <hasIDLink resource="http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/nr98013265" />
      <hasVIAFLink resource="http://viaf.org/viaf/148620313" />
      <hasDNBLink resource="http://d-nb.info/gnd/2167628-8" />
</Organization>

I still haven't an answer from an earlier question (now lost in all of this email) as to whether there will be a specific link from the BIBFRAME Authority to the actual shared authority file used by the library - that is, the file from which the library derives what here is shown as the "<label>". The example above shows links to LCNA, DNB and VIAF, but it isn't clear if any one of those is singled out as the authority being used by the library. Why does this matter? It matters because if the library intends to be part of an authority community, they have to be able to receive updates from the shared authority file, and therefore there must be a link between the shared authority file and the local usage of a term. I illustrate this in the diagrams I did at: http://kcoyle.blogspot.com/2013/05/bibframe-authorities.html (see esp. 2nd diagram).

If there isn't such a link then I do not see how libraries will be able to keep their names in sync with the authority file to which they adhere.

We also haven't talked about alternate names. The examples show a single name form. Indexing requires alternates. Both single names and alternates often comes from a shared authority file (that isn't local) and both types of name forms can change. What is the link that makes change management work with the BIBFRAME Authorities?

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net