Jeanne –

Speaking of which, what’s up with Archives-Z?  Is it still a “live” project?

Michele

From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jeanne Kramer-Smyth
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 10:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Ordering or sorting by extent?

Dear Jane,

I did some work on this years ago for my ArchivesZ visualization project. My goal was ton convert all extent values to linear feet. As you know, this is easier said than done.

This blog post is an example of the struggles I had with extent in EAD:  http://www.spellboundblog.com/2009/05/13/archivesz-data-challenges-university-of-texas-san-antonio/

You can find more of these by looking through this list for posts titled 'Data Challenges':  http://www.spellboundblog.com/category/archivesz/

My ultimate plan for a future in which something like ArchivesZ was scaled up to handle many institutions was to request that they provide mapping of their extent vocabulary to linear feet. It would be up to each institution to examine their own extent naming practices and figure out the best way to covert their values to linear feet so the values could be aggregated and used for sorting.

Jeanne Kramer-Smyth

Electronic Records/Archives Officer

Library & Archives of Development

http://www.linkedin.com/in/jkramersmyth