I am taking the liberty of forwarding this news from the National Agricultural Library.  As noted by Dr. Liu, Eleanor Frierson received the Federal Librarian of the Year award from her FLICC/FEDLINK colleagues for her work in 2010.  Many of you will remember her reports at our membership meetings for several years when she represented us on the OCLC Members Council, where she was very diligent and, when necessary, vocal on our behalf.  We miss her enthusiasm and passion for our profession.

Lynn McDonald, FEDLINK, Library of Congress

Colleagues,

It is with great sadness that I must inform you that Eleanor Frierson, NAL’s former Deputy Director, died peacefully this morning at home, following a valiant fight against cancer.

A memorial service is planned, but the details have not yet been determined.

Her husband asks those wishing to honor Eleanor to consider making a donation in her memory to the Safra Family Lodge, which provides comfortable housing for the families of patients at the NIH Clinical Center. John requests no food or flowers.

Eleanor served as NAL’s Deputy Director from 2000 until her retirement in December 2011, a tenure that also included two separate stints as the library’s Acting Director. In my nearly two years working alongside her, I found her to be a passionate and vocal advocate for libraries and librarianship.

That enduring passion drove Eleanor to work beyond the walls of NAL across the federal and international library communities. Her professional contributions and career were acknowledged when she was named the 2010 Federal Librarian of the Year.

My sincere condolences go out to Eleanor’s family, and we join them in mourning her passing.

We will share information about a memorial as those arrangements are finalized.

Simon

Simon Y. Liu, Ph.D.

Director, U.S. National Agricultural Library