[log in to unmask]">
Apologies for cross-posting, but we are trying to spread the word far and wide. Feel free to pass this along to anyone who might be interested.
Job Title: Research Library Director
Organizational Name: SRO-RL/ Science Resource Office - Research Library
Located in northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multi-mission national security science Laboratory, responsible for monitoring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, defense against all things nuclear, energy security, and scientific discovery. It is the senior DOE National Laboratory and the most productive scientifically. Its Research Library (SRO-RL) is a leading DOE digital library, providing state-of-the-art information technology tools to our research community and developing innovative web technologies to further information availability, accessibility, and digital preservation. We are seeking an individual with the vision, leadership, creativity, and entrepreneurial skills to direct and inspire its world-renowned Research Library teams.
The complexity of this opportunity requires a bold and creative leader with broad and far-reaching experience. The Research Library Director will serve as part of the Science Resource Office leadership team, jointly responsible for knowledge generation and stewardship in support of the Lab’s mission. The successful candidate will direct the Research Library’s world-class work in applied information science research and the development of digital library applications. In addition, the incumbent will guide collaborative data management and digital repository technology initiatives, further the development of the premier research collections, and be a leader in interpreting and re-imagining the role of a national laboratory library and scientific knowledge center. The incumbent will have the opportunity to guide efforts to increase access to federally funded scientific research. The successful candidate has an opportunity to build on a track record of internationally recognized successful leadership and innovation. As the responsible manager and primary advocate for the Research Library, the incumbent will be responsible for providing direction and leadership in strategic planning; developing and promoting library services and resources; initiating and implementing appropriate technologies; partnering with Laboratory and external community initiatives; budgeting and human resources management. Incumbent will represent LANL in dialogue and development of digital services with leaders of other scientific and research libraries.
· In-depth working knowledge of information technology and the information market, including existing and emergent standards and practices regarding knowledge tools such as digital library technologies, practices, and other scholarly information resources, and the integration of these technologies into a broader institutional IT environment.
· Familiarity with the technical context and dimensions of distributed digital knowledge, sufficient for the effective oversight of the technical work of Research Library staff.
· Demonstrated success in visionary leadership and goal-setting for a complex technical organization, which requires excellent strategic and tactical planning skills.
· Record of success in human leadership, as demonstrated by conflict resolution and the recruitment, retention, and mentoring of outstanding and diverse technical and administrative staff; demonstrated commitment and support of AA/EEO policies.
· Demonstrated effective communication with subordinates, peers, and superiors; demonstrated excellence in verbal, written and visual communication as evidenced by talks and presentations.
· Excellent fiscal management skills.
· Demonstrated commitment to a safe, secure, and environmentally compliant workplace with a record of continuous improvement in the performance of previous organizations.
· Masters degree in information management, library science, computer science or a related field, or equivalent professional experience.
· Experience with digital library applications in research libraries, higher education institutions, or technology development organizations.
· Experience with regional, national, or international multi-institutional cooperation among research libraries, higher education institutions, or technology organizations.
· Five years of successful and progressively responsible administrative and managerial experience.
· Thorough understanding of electronic scholarly communication and open access issues and developments.
· Experience with the deployment of information technology in secure environments, e.g. classified, partitioned, proprietary, or sensitive.
Clearance: Q or the ability to obtain one.
Notes to Applicants: For full consideration, applicants must submit a comprehensive cover letter that addresses the key requirements of the position.
For more information and to apply: http://jobs.lanl.gov/
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Email: [log in to unmask]