I don't think they do, I believe it's undifferentiated. I'm not very knowledgeable in this area though.

ARIA (Accessible Rich Internet Applications) is a new W3C specification for making your stuff accessible via a standard set of DOM properties. It allows you to add things like a "role" attribute to different HTML elements to tell a reader how it should interpret something (like "here's a navigation menu!"). Maybe not that relevant to what you're trying to do, but something to keep an eye on for accessibility.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Michele R Combs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Joyce –

Thanks – I will definitely check it out.  When the output is interpreted by a screen reader, does it report the class attribute or in some other way reflect the nesting of the component levels?  Or does it just treat that third column as undifferentiated, i.e. all at the same “level”?

Michele

From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joyce Chapman
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2013 3:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: finding aid HTML and accessibility

Hi Michelle,

In 2009 I wrote a stylesheet like your first solution, partially in the hope that people would use it to alleviate this problem -- it's a good solution to getting rid of using the table to force indentation. It's part of the EADRT hosted stylesheets, called "dsc-3-column-table: three column table for DSC section" (http://saa-ead-roundtable.github.io/ead-stylesheets/). The stylesheet uses the first two columns to output container values (box 1, folder 1), and all descriptive info for nested components is output together in the third column. The layout of nested component levels is controlled through classes provided in an accompanying CSS stylesheet. It assumes that your institution uses two columns for container values, but you could easily modify it to be a two-column layout for single containers. The CSS does not include any styling other than setting up the classes that will control the display (such as indentation) for the different component levels' table cells.

Joyce