Dear colleagues,

As the UK committee on MARC, the BIC Library Metadata Group (formerly BIC Bibliographic Standards Group) has reviewed the MARBI agenda and has the following comments on the papers.

Discussion Paper No. 2013-DP05: Defining Indicator Values for 588 Source of Description Note in the MARC 21 Bibliographic Format

We are not convinced of the necessity of this change and we regard it as an incomplete solution. There are other ways of ensuring data quality, such as by using macros. There are many possible terms that libraries may wish to use in this field and this only specifies a few, although those specified may account for a high proportion of cases. We agree with the points in questions 1 and 2 subject to the caveats already stated. On question 3, we prefer option 2 because it conforms to the MARC principle of not redefining data elements (first indicator value blank).

Discussion Paper No. 2013-DP06: Defining New Field 388 for Chronological Terms in the MARC 21 Authority Format

On question 1 we are affirmative on all three sub-questions. Field 388 seems as good as any other for the purpose.

Similarly we are affirmative on question 2 about the use of the first indicator.

Proposal No. 2013-08: Defining Subfield $7 in the 8XX Series Added Entry Fields in the MARC 21 Bibliographic Record

We support this proposal.

Proposal No. 2013-09: Defining Subfields for Qualifiers to Standard Identifiers in the MARC 21 Bibliographic, Authority, and Holdings Formats

We recognise this proposal as a sensible improvement to the format, but we have concerns about the impact of change. The fields affected are core fields. Systems that parse the parenthetical data will need to also look for $q. Systems that validate MARC elements will need to be changed.

Best wishes

Terry

Terry Willan

Business Analyst

Software services

Capita, Knights Court, Solihull Parkway

Birmingham Business Park, B37 7YB

Office: 0870 400 5038   Mobile: 0776 9740077

Email: terry.willan@capita.co.uk

www.capita.co.uk/software

This email and any attachment to it are confidential.  Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose either the message or any information contained in the message. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this email and notify the sender immediately.

 Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender only, unless otherwise stated.  All copyright in any Capita material in this email is reserved.

 All emails, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded by Capita and monitored for legitimate business purposes.

 Capita exclude all liability for any loss or damage arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email to the fullest extent permitted by law.