On Fri, 14 Jun 2013, Stanley Elswick - NOAA Federal wrote:

> I vote for using just the initialism, and using cataloger judgment on
> deciding whether to qualify with a spelled-out version (if we were
> voting). All else introduces ambiguity into the process.

  "Cataloger judgment" is precisely what "introduces ambiguity."

  Another way to eliminate "ambiguity" without using qualifiers would be to
place x-refs that conflict with established names in 510 fields rather
than 410 fields.

  I too prefer a qualifier for 410 entries comprised of the spelled-out
versions of names, in contrast to qualifiers for 110 entries that identify
the nature of the named body. In remaining instances of 110 conficts,
addition of the spelled-out name to the qualifier would be resolutionary.

jgm

  John G. Marr
  Cataloger
  CDS, UL
  Univ. of New Mexico
  Albuquerque, NM 87131

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but
sharing is permitted.