One of the odd deficits in RDA is the lack of a place to record the
original language of a Work as distinct from the language of an Expression.
Accepting that language is not properly an attribute of the Work should not
preclude naming the original language of a Work as an important piece of
contextualizing information about it, as important as date, place of
origin, and history. Original language of the Work should be a defined
attribute with those others. Maybe LC and PCC could work on adding that to
Work attributes in RDA 6 as a step toward more flexible, maybe even
automated solutions to the task of naming Expressions differentiated by
language.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
Technical Services, University Libraries